We all know that arsenic is a poisonous chemical that is capable of killing not only animals and pests but also human. Arsenic is a metalloid that can either be organic and inorganic in composition. Organic arsenic is naturally found in the environment provided by Mother Nature itself. While inorganic arsenic is made by man and human waste materials such as chemicals and metals.
Inorganic arsenic is the most toxic and lethal chemical compared to organic arsenic due to the fact that man produced these chemical combined with other chemical compounds that are poisonous as well. Though wherever and however you look at it, both inorganic and organic arsenic are poisonous and toxic.
Organic arsenic is naturally found in ground water and surface water that is used and as a source of drinking water. Some arsenic compounds are found in marine organisms and a natural flora of marine water. Most of the time, arsenic is caused by volcanic activity and is the main source of arsenic and due to volatilization in low temperature, arsenic was naturally produced.
Arsenic can also be made by man that is called as inorganic arsenic. Inorganic arsenic is caused by mining, smelting of alloys and can also be found in agricultural chemicals and pharmaceutical drugs.
Unaware sometimes, arsenic can also be found at home. Arsenic, deadly as it is, is used as a chemical additive in pesticides to control pests. Arsenic is an effective chemical to kill pests such as rodent, ants, cockroaches, as well as larvae. It can also kill snails that have been infesting the plants both agricultural and plants that can are found at home.
According to the World health Organization, a non-government agency, arsenic is one of the major causes of poisoning and death since arsenic are naturally found in groundwater that is somewhat the source of drinking water by some undeveloped countries in the world.
The Effects of Arsenic in Our Health
Since arsenic is naturally found in ground water and some are caused by man and chemical waste materials, we can conclude that arsenic is also one of the causes of pollution and contamination not only of land and air but also in water.
When an individual is exposed to arsenic, symptoms of poisoning occurs. Depending on the severity of exposure, the initial symptoms of arsenic poisoning are confusion, severe diarrhea, headache and drowsiness.
Severe diarrhea when left untreated, leads to dehydration due to the large amount of water from the body is excreted compared to the amount of water being taken. When arsenic poisoning develops to a severity, convulsions and fingernail pigmentation occurs.
This pigmentation present in fingernails is medically called as Leukonychia Striata. When left untreated and becomes acute, the symptoms of acute arsenic poisoning are nausea and vomiting, blood in the urine occurs, as well as, hematemesis or vomiting of blood, medically known as alopecia or hair loss, muscle cramps and stomach pains develops. When left untreated, arsenic poisoning can lead to brain damage and sometimes can lead to death.
What is the amount of Arsenic That Can Lethally Affect Our Health?
According to World Health Organization, the estimated dose of arsenic that can cause poisoning is 70 to 200 mg or 1 mg/kg/day. This dosage also depends on who will consume it. If it were to be consumed by children, the dose of 70 mg is already toxic to their health that the initial symptoms can occur.
What about the adults? Well, since adults are already exposed to certain pollutants and chemicals that are present in the environment nowadays and in their daily lives from home, on the road and at work, and depending on the existing exposure to other chemicals, the amount of arsenic poisoning can sometimes exceed to more 200 mg which already lethal.
How is Arsenic Removed from Our Drinking Water?
Nowadays, there are different ways to remove arsenic in drinking water. Since arsenic is one of the causes of poisoning, we have to make sure that drinking water is safe for our family to drink. Honestly speaking, there are a lot of ways to remove not only arsenic but also other chemicals and microorganisms found in drinking water.
Since water is a necessity in life, we have to make sure that it doesn’t contain any microorganisms and sediments that can cause diseases and most importantly, it won’t contain poisonous chemicals that can harm our loved ones.
What we usually do to have the assurance that these microorganisms and chemicals are removed in our drinking water is that we usually boil drinking water to a point that pathogenic bacteria and viruses as well as poisonous chemicals are dissolved, but are they really?
Arsenic can be safely removed from water through filtration and purification processes, since there are a lot of ways to purify drinking water and we cannot assure ourselves that it is safe for the family.
As a member of the family, we just wanted to make sure that they get the best there is especially when it has something to do with their health and welfare.
Since there are different ways to removed bacteria, viruses and other chemicals in water through filtration and purification, how do we know we chose the best purification process for drinking water?
Well, in public water treatment facilities nowadays, there are different ways to filter and purify water that is by using chemicals as reagents and some water treatment facility uses radiation to kill bacteria and viruses.
Knowing that chemicals and radiation is dangerous to health, we want to make sure that our family won’t be exposed to its toxicity.
One way to have the assurance that no arsenic and other chemicals are found in drinking water is to use Berkey Water Filters to filter and purify water at the safety and comfort of home. Berkey can remove Arsenic 99.9% out from the water. Assuring you that your family is drinking the most potable water there is.