Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Drinking Water

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Drinking Water

Water itself is already an organic compound that we need to help us do what we wanted to do. We all know that the main function of water is to keep us hydrated as we do our day-to-day activities. We are not fully aware of the vitality of water to our body for us to do certain tasks in our lives, may they be simple or complex.

 

Primarily indeed, water keeps us hydrated, and not only that, one of its functions is to help deliver oxygen throughout the body, and without oxygen, we won’t be alive today. It also aids in brain functions. The brain itself is composed of 70% of water.

Also, water acts as a shock absorber of the body, but most importantly, it helps eliminate toxins from the body. Although water has been chlorinated and treated, we are not quite safe from volatile organic compounds in drinking water that had been successfully removed.

 

Volatile Organic Compounds, also known as VOC’s are rapidly evaporating chemicals or drugs that have polluted or combined with water. Water that came or is supplied by dams for the community is treated through the water sanitation system.

Chlorine is added to water supplies and remained for a long period to kill bacteria, protozoan, and other microorganisms, though it still is not potable to drink.

 

As water remains in the sanitation system, different volatile organic compounds seep through the soil and into the water system and combine with the chlorinated water.

Some of which are mercury and lead from rusted water pipes and sometimes chemical wastes produced by certain industries and fecal materials that combine with the water supply and are also caused by improperly operated and poorly maintained water systems.

Aware of not, some of this chemical waste can sometimes be found at home, and we sometimes use it daily.

Though sometimes filtered, as water flows through the pipes, some of which are cracked or broken and sometimes rusted, can be the reason why volatile organic compounds in drinking water are still present.

 

What are the different kinds of volatile organic compounds, and how does it affects our health?

Scientists found certain volatile organic compounds in drinking water, and some of those are added to certain products, such as those found in gasoline, pesticides, and insecticides.

Sometimes with misuse or by accident, it was spilled over. These compounds are absorbed by the soil and can go through the broken water line.

 

Even before the chlorination and treatment process is initiated in the water sanitation system, natural as fluoride is already found in water, we all know it helps clean our teeth; however, excessive intake can also be toxic.

Chlorine, mixed with water from the water sanitation system, is also essential in daily living. Not only does it inhibits bacterial growth and kills certain microorganisms, but it is also toxic when ingested by the body with more than the trace amount the body can take.

Excessive exposure to chlorine can lead to certain diseases or illnesses that affect the respiratory and nervous systems.

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Drinking Water

Other volatile compounds in drinking water are lead and mercury. As we all are aware, these organic compounds are poisonous in so many ways.

Once exposed, may it be through ingestion or even just by skin absorption, it can lead to certain illnesses as well, and not only that, once inside the body, lead, and mercury can never be removed; thus, prolonged exposure can lead to toxicity and causes psychotic and suicidal tendencies and in severe cases can lead to nerve damage by causing damages to the blood and brain.

 

At home, certain volatile organic compounds that most of the time we are not aware of can affect our family’s health and, most especially, the children. Gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, pesticides, arsenic, and insecticides present at home are rich with these volatile organic compounds.

Not only can it combine with water if exposed or by accident, but it was also spilled over and absorbed by the soil. It is already harmful when left open and breathes through the air. Depending on the body’s exposure, most of these volatile organic compounds can cause respiratory illnesses or diseases and, in severe cases, nerve damage.

 

How to prevent and clean contaminated drinking water?

Well, there are a lot of ways to prevent our family from being exposed to these volatile organic compounds in drinking water. One way is to make sure that the water pipes aren’t broken or cracked, and if they indeed make sure that it will be changed or fixed immediately to assure ourselves that no volatile organic compounds can leak through.

 

Making sure that the family is drinking filtered and purified water can keep them from harm’s way. Also making sure that the water lines aren’t rusted as it is one of the sources of mercury and lead toxicity.

Another way is to ensure that all sources of the volatile organic compounds are covered, spill-proof, and locked away from children’s reach.

 

Since more and more volatile organic compounds in drinking water are being discovered nowadays due to the advancing environment, researchers found a way to filter and purify water to be safe from volatile organic compounds and are potable to drink.

 

Scientifically tested and proven that Berkey filters and purifies the disease-causing microorganisms and volatile organic compounds in drinking water. Using this, the family is now safe from certain diseases and toxic organic compounds found in drinking water.


Related Posts


Older Post Newer Post