Travel Berkey Water Filter - 1.5 Gallons
The Travel Berkey water filter is a compacted system that is excellent for use during travel and other outdoor activities or unexpected emergencies. This is perfect for small homes or RVs with a little countertop!
- The compact Travel Berkey system is perfect for small homes and apartments, travel (fits in most suitcases), outdoor activities, or unexpected emergencies.
- It is constructed of highly polished AISI 304 stainless steel.
- Storage capacity of about 1.5 gallons.
- Upper chamber nests within the lower chamber for transport and stands only 12" in height.
- Maximum filters: 2 Black Berkey Elements (in upper chamber).
- The system includes upper and lower stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, 2 wingnuts, 2 washers, 1 priming button, stainless steel lid, a spigot, and a rubber gasket to protect the base.
- Height when in use: 18".
- Diameter: 7.5".
- Weight: 6.13 lbs empty.
- For regular everyday use, this system easily serves 1-3 people.
- Fully configured, this system can serve up to 33-66 people daily during an emergency.
- Each Black Berkey Filter is designed to purify approximately 3,000 gallons of water before needing replacement; 2 filters in a Berkey system will purify about 6,000 gallons of water before replacement is recommended
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with two Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Travel Berkey system can produce up to 2.75 gallons (10.4 liters) of purified water per hour.
This system comes standard with the following:
- Upper and lower stainless steel chambers
- 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements
- 2 wingnuts
- 2 washers
- 1 priming button
- Stainless steel lid
- Standard spigot
- Rubber Gasket to protect the base
Considering the Travel Berkey water filter may be the smallest, its effectiveness in purifying drinking/tap water is equal. Its performance specification will surely meet the required classification.
This system removes hundreds of harmful contaminants, such as Bacteria and parasites, heavy metals like lead and mercury, VOCs, toxic chemicals like benzene, chlorine, and chromium-6, pesticides, pharmaceutical drugs, and more, to levels higher than 99.99%. It is portable.
Take Travel Berkey on your vacation. You will never need to worry about not having clean drinking water. Black Berkey will even filter untreated raw water. For your health, convenience, and pleasure, get a Berkey System.
More About the Travel Berkey:
|Capacity||1.5 Gallons (5.7 Liters)|
|Filter Capacity||Up to 2 Black Berkey (upper) + 2 Fluoride Filters (lower)|
|Flow Rate||Maximum Filtration Rate can produce up to 2.75 gallons (10.4 liters) of purified water per hour|
|Height||6.13 lbs (if empty)|
|Portability||The upper chamber nests within the lower chamber for transport and stands only 12" in height|
|Height||19" (Includes lid and knob)|
1 - 3 People (for normal everyday use). System can serve up to 33-66 people a day (during an emergency)
|Weight||6.13 lbs (if empty)|
Up to two PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction, Filters may be installed in the lower chamber of this system if desired.
Berkey Water Filters can remove:
- Fluoride - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Viruses – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Pathogenic Bacteria - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Lead - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Arsenic - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Iron - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Mercury - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Chlorine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Trihalomethane(THMs) – Removed to greater than 99.8%.
- Bisphenol-A - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Chloramines - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Pharmaceuticals - Removed to greater than 99.5%.
- Petroleum Contaminants - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Methylcyclohexane-methane - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Pesticides - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Heavy Metals - Removed to greater than 99.1%.
- Coliform and e-Coli - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Atrazine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Uranium - Removed to greater than 97.0%.
- Gross Alpha emitters - Removed to greater than 98.7%.
Key points on the Black Berkey Purification Elements:
- A leader in gravity-fed water purification
- Its formulation has been tested by State, and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53
- Re-cleanable and self-sterilizing during the life of the element
- 2 Black Berkey elements will purify approximately 6,000 gallons of water before replacement is recommended
- Berkey elements are designed not to remove beneficial minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
- Elements come with a 2-year, prorated warranty.
See the complete list of contaminants that Berkey Water filter reduced/removed and Laboratory Testing Results of our filters.
***Does not ship to Iowa.
Whether traveling, camping, or on an outdoor adventure, a Travel Berkey is the perfect solution for drinking clean water. It is easy to carry and assemble and can be set up without plumbing or electricity.
Travel Berkey is small enough to fit your suitcase, which is great for unexpected emergencies. It comes with two Black Berkey purification elements that are easy to clean and last up to five or six years.
Travel Berkey is also ideal for camping, especially in remote areas. Cleaning and removing harmful chemicals and parasites from raw or treated water is easy. The system can filter water from streams and rivers and be used in a tent or RV.
Its stainless steel containers are made in the United States, and its chambers are assembled using US and imported parts. Independent third-party laboratories also test it to ensure it's safe for use.
It is made for a small household or a small family and is suitable for homes with small countertop space.
Convenient Size – Travel Berkey.
Water is an important component of our daily lives, we do so many things with it, and without its presence, there would be tasks and important matters that won't work well and can't be done.
You might live in places abundant with water, but the problem is not limited to the amount but also its cleanliness and safety for consumption.
People unaware of the possible effects of consuming contaminated water won't worry much about certain peculiarities on their taps; smell, texture, or slight discoloration are signs of contamination.
The toxins and pathogens in untreated water may bring you more risk than benefit of consuming it; even treated water sometimes has harmful sediments.
We consume water several times every day. Thus, water consumption does not only take place at home.
Sometimes we travel out with our family, go on picnics, and go camping; when we are out in these moments, what do we have to protect ourselves from consuming contaminated water in the area?
It is advisable to have enough clean water to consume; Why would there be a need for clean water? How would it be possible?
The Importance of Clean Water
The water source is supplied or naturally exists; none are safe for immediate consumption.
Water, as a hydrating matter, is very important to our body. What we intake may leave sediments and substances behind.
If you think being hydrated is all that matters, you have misunderstood the real essence of water for our health.
Water is considered a cleansing agent on our body, and we intake it to clean the toxins and unwanted substances left by our food.
Since it is a cleansing agent, it is expected to minimize the existing toxins in our body; but what would happen if the water itself is full of toxins?
As you gulp into contaminated water, everything that goes with it will end up inside you and might cause complications and illnesses.
If you think clean water is not an issue since you have clear water, then you must know that not all harmful substances are visible; bacteria, pathogens, fecal matters, and hazardous chemicals are only a few of the many toxins that are not visible to the naked eye.
The impact of drinking contaminated water may vary from less to severe depending on several aspects; the volume of intake, level of contamination, type of contaminants, the duration that you've been consuming contaminated water, and the health status and age of the person.
Contaminants in water range from typical dirt to hazardous matters, to name a few; E.coli, Nitrates, total Coliforms, nitrates, bacteria, herbicides, and pesticides.
How to Diminish Water Contaminants
The popularity of waterborne diseases has existed for decades, and with all those years passed, many technologies and methods were created as possible solutions for treating contaminated water.
However, Travel Berkey Water Filter might come in handy if you aim to solve the problem with limited space, are always busy, or are out to travel.
Our Berkey Water Filters can clean 99.9% of toxins and unwanted sediments on your water, including bacteria and metals. Despite being smaller, it could surpass the cleaning ability of another water filter on the market.
It is very easy to use and does not require much effort when treating your water. It is also portable and can be placed anywhere you desire.
Understanding the Growthrough Process
Bacteria thrive in damp areas, such as filtration elements inside a water purification system. When the right conditions for growth are present (certain environmental conditions, temperature, pressure, etc.), combined with sufficient nutrients, cells can multiply and penetrate the walls of a water purification system's filters. This is known as "growthrough". And since carbon-based filters remove chlorine (used to combat bacterial growth) from drinking water, a system's filter elements must be self-sterilizing.
Growthrough and Filter Lifespan Claims
Growthrough can occur after just six months using typical tap water or even sooner when filtering contaminated water—long before many filters would realistically reach 3,000 gallons (a commonly advertised filter lifespan). So when you are comparing systems, it's important to find out if growthrough is accounted for in the manufacturer's lifespan calculations.
Risks Posed by Growthrough
In the absence of a feedback mechanism to determine when growthough has occurred, this presents an especially concerning health risk. Once growthrough occurs, post-filtered water can be more bacteriologically contaminated than the original pre-filtered water. And since the process occurs at a microbial level, you'd never be able to identify it just by looking at it. However, a water quality test from a contaminated water filter could be very eye-opening.
Self-Cleaning Black Berkey Purification Elements Prevent Growthrough
Authentic Black Berkey Purification Elements are independently tested to address over 200 contaminants in tap water or raw, freshwater sources such as lakes and ponds. Moreover, Black Berkey Purification Elements are made with a proprietary formulation that includes a bactericidal media, which prevents growthrough from occurring. Thus, you can drink confidently.
Gravity-fed water purification systems made by Berkey Systems are based on a simple and efficient process that uses gravity to pull water through microporous filters or elements. This traps contaminants while allowing beneficial minerals to pass through. Berkey systems are powerful, very cost-efficient, and require no electricity or special plumbing, which makes them an ideal choice for everyday use and emergencies.
This particular water filter was designed to cater to the needs of those who love to explore and travel from one destination to another. Moreover, people who also live a portable kind of lifestyle (e.g., living in an RV)
What are the Features of the Travel Berkey Water Filter?
The Design and Its Components
The Travel Berkey Water Filter is designed with well-constructed, highly polished 304 stainless steel for both the upper and lower chambers. In addition to that, it also comes with a complete package essential kit containing:
- 2 Black Berkey purification elements
- 2 wingnuts
- 2 washers
- 1 priming button
- Stainless Steel Lid
- Standard Spigot and;
- Rubber Gasket to protect the base of the Travel Berkey
The Travel Berkey Water Filter system can filter 1.5 gallons (5.7 Liters) of water per hour. In addition, it can serve reliable and drinkable water to up to 1-3 person/son a normal usage. However, in case of any problems regarding water supply, the Travel Berkey has your back since it can serve water to up to 33-66 people in a day.
Even though the Travel Berkey water filter is considered the smallest water filter system, aside from the Go Berkey, its ability to purify and filter water is still as competent and reliable as the other Berkey water filtration systems. You can still guarantee that this small water filter can still bring you huge, outstanding results when providing safe and drinkable water.
How is it Reliable?
The Travel Berkey Water Filter can remove 99.99% of water pollutants and contaminants in the mix. This includes protozoans, bacteria, toxic chemicals (e.g., Benzene, Chlorine, and Chromium-6), parasites, pesticides, and pharmaceutical drugs. Furthermore, it can also remove heavy metals such as mercury and lead. It can also reduce the amount of fluoride and arsenic elements in the water through the PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements.
So, the Travel Berkey will be the most suitable and convenient for those who enjoy exploring places and those who enjoy a small lifestyle. Especially, for outdoor escapades and camping activities, with the Travel Berkey Water Filter, you need not worry anymore about having access to safe, drinkable, and healthy water.
The Travel Berkey Water Filter can purify and filter water from different sources. Of course, if you are on a camping trip with friends and family, most likely, you will enjoy the presence of rivers, lakes, streams, ponds, and all the like. With the Travel Berkey Water Filter, you can no longer worry about having a sufficient water supply. Because with the Travel Berkey Water Filter, you can get the water you need from any water sources available and leave the purification and filtration process with the Travel Berkey. The Travel Berkey Water Filter will be in charge of providing your friends, family, and yourself with the best-tasting, high-quality drinkable water there is.
You can enjoy your outdoor activities at full blast while staying hydrated throughout the day.
Purification AND Filtration
If you noticed, the Travel Berkey Water Filter is considered a water system that can both purify and filter water. Yes, you read that correctly, which is correct and proven. Through the help of its Black Berkey Purification Elements, it reached a higher level of efficiency that made it strong and reliable in filtering contaminants and pollutants from water.
There is a bar set to be classified as a purification water system, which removes at least 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria and reduces viruses by 99.99%. Well, for the Travel Berkey and all other Berkey Water systems, with the help of the Black Berkey Purification Elements, which are the core feature of all the Berkey water systems, it can remove 99.9999999% of pathogenic bacteria and 99.999% of viruses. Those numbers have exceeded the average standards. Hence, it is now not only considered to be a filtration machine but also a purifier.
So, with that, you get to have the best of both worlds at only one price. This amazing function is not only limited to the Travel Berkey Water Filter but all the Berkey Water Filtration systems available.
More Information about the Travel Berkey Filtration System
How do you know when to change the filters?
That is the right time to change every 6000 gallons filtered by the Black Berkey Purification Elements. However, it is sometimes difficult and time-consuming to go and figure out if you have already reached the 6000-gallon limit. So, the other way that makes this process a little bit more convenient is the Red Food Coloring Test.
What is the Red Food Coloring Test?
The Red Food Coloring Test is a standard procedure to see and determine if your water filters are effectively working. You can perform this right after purchasing the product and after reaching the limit of filtered water by your chosen Berkey Water filtration system. This test only works for the Black Berkey Purification elements and not other filter elements.
To proceed with this test, you must have an artificial Red Food Coloring that uses reds FD&C 40 and 3. There are other kinds of food coloring in the market, but this specific food coloring is the best recommended one to determine the accuracy of your Black Berkey Purification Elements. Other food coloring products are highly safe for consumption but pass through the Berkey filters easily. So, you might think that your filters defect, but as a matter of fact, they are not.
How do you perform the Red Food Coloring Test?
The red food coloring test is composed of simple and easy steps. Just follow the following instructions below:
- First, start by emptying your upper or lower chamber. Also, remove the PF-2 filters if there are any installed.
- Next, place an empty and clean glass under each Black Berkey Purification Element in the lower chamber.
- Now, fill up the upper chamber with water.
- For every one gallon of water, put 1 teaspoon of red food coloring. So, if you poured 2 gallons of water, put 2 teaspoons of red food coloring.
- Leave it there for about 5-10 minutes.
- After, check and see if both or either of the glasses contains any red or pinkish mixture. If it is clear, then the Black Berkey elements are working or are still okay if they're both or any of the glass has a red or pinkish mixture, then it must be both, or the respective filter element is defective (if purchased newly) or needs a replacement already (if already owned).
Berkey Water Purification Product Lines and Berkey Filters
TRAVEL BERKEY SYSTEM BENEFITS
- Powerful- Berkey purifiers remove a broad universe of contaminants, from toxic chemicals and minerals to pathogenic bacteria and viruses, while leaving in the healthy minerals your body needs.
- Efficient- Berkey purifiers are the fastest-producing gravity-fed water purification systems on the market, purifying water up to eight times faster than other available systems.
- Convenient- The purification elements may be cleaned, eliminating frequent replacements.
- Effortless- The design replaces slow and exhausting manual pumps with the natural force of gravity. At the same time, the system remains simple to use, making it a breeze, whether in the kitchen or deep in the Rocky Mountains.
- Portable- Berkey purifiers travel easily and function without electricity or water pressure.
- Durable- Constructed of highly-polished surgical grade AISI 304 stainless steel, the housing is built to last.
- Economical- Two Black Berkey Purification Elements, which come standard with most systems, average 2 cents per gallon of purified water and last up to 6,000 gallons, or approximately 5-8 years, with typical use.
- Proven- Used by individuals, missionaries, and relief organizations worldwide, Berkey systems have truly stood the test of time.
Berkey Water Purification Systems address a broad universe of potential contaminants, including viruses, bacteria, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and heavy metals, dramatically reducing protozoa and even radiological while leaving in the healthy minerals your body needs. Confidently use your Berkey Filters and Systems as a final barrier solution daily.
Love it love it love it!
Full-time RVer's. Very compact! Water tastes great!
Lots to love about my travel Berkey. The water is so fresh, it even makes my coffee taste better. A few minor things about it are confusing, though. It's hard to tell when you are over-filling the tank. (Twice I've had water leak out on my counter and onto the floor.) Also the spout is made of a cheap plastic and afraid it might snap off after a couple months of use. All in all, super glad I bought it!
I ordered the “Travel Berkey”
to use in our square drop trailer. Tired of plastic bottles and can now filter the water in our tank and save premium space for other things.
Liked so much, got a second larger unit for the house
I received an email from The Berkey distributorship from whom I ordered & received my Travel Berkey approx 37 days ago to ask me if I’d be willing to write a review.
I would be happy to do so except that I’ve yet to set up my Berkey — so I’m unable to say what I think at this time.
Why? Because I have been waiting until the Berkey arsenic/fluoride filters are in stock again so I can order them.
The most important toxins I want to eliminate from my drinking water are those two specifically.
Also - if I’m understanding correctly, when I entered my city of residence for Berkey’s water assessment of toxins that Berkey filters out - or not - the results came back that there are 13-14 toxins present in my city water supply that Berkey does NOT filter out.
So I conclude that my best chance of obtaining the purest cleanest water I can is to purchase spring water (in plastic bottles!!!) and use that for my Berkey.
Or, alternatively, catch rain water and use that water and add trace minerals after filtering through the Berkey.
I do know the Berkey filtered water tastes fabulous because my neighbor has a giant sized Berkey and I’ve tasted her Berkey filtered water. The main reason I decided to choose the Berkey Water Filtration system in the first place. That water inspired me to buy a Berkey for myself.
I had to do something about my health issues. Mainly kidney problems because I rarely drank water — both because I truly hated the taste of every type of water I tried — filtered, smart, spring, or filtered — and because drinking water throughout the day made me need to pee all day long.
So ok. I have to drink more water. When I recalled how the only water I ever liked the taste of was from my neighbor’s Berkey, that settled it.
My TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) consultant also uses Berkey filtered water to make her Endocrine and Kidney teas which I’m drinking and they both taste delicious.
She also encouraged me to invest in the Berkey system in order to inspire me to drink more water because it tastes good.
So I’m really looking forward to purchasing the arsenic/fluoride filters and begin using my Berkey.
I do love the design and the stand — both are aesthetically pleasing to my taste — which also matters to my Venus in Virgo astrological placement. go figure. Lol
I’d be willing to write a better review once I’m able to order those fluoride/arsenic filters and actually drink my Berkey filtered water.
Aloha Blessings to all 🌈
I really do love my Berkey. It's easy to use, clean and I love the taste of my water. Even my cat could tell the difference between our tap water and the water out of the Berkey. I feel better knowing my water has been purified. I have encouraged others to try it for themselves.
Please watch “Top ten mistakes with Berkey water filtration” (YouTube).”. Started having very slow filtration. This was with strictly Ice Mountain gallon bottles. A few inches of unfiltered water does remain in top chamber. Weekly maintenance essential to scrub the carbon filters smooth again. Already have non-functioning set of carbon filters with less than 100 cycles. Know two people that bought system and earned them how to avoid problems.
Berkey has a product second to none. This was our 6th Berkey , three given as gifts. When you think Berkey think long term and how much you would spend on bottled or delivered water. Our 1.5 is for upstairs and we enjoy fresh clean water anytime day or night. Get one today, dont miss out.
Why did I wait so long to buy my Berkey?! The water tastes so clean and refreshing- I find myself drinking more water these days! Hooray!
Love my Berkey water taste so much better that I have one at home and got one for work. Now I have a friend who is buying 2 as well one for her home and one for her daughter.
I love this system. Water tasting great.