Who would’ve missed that special breeze of December? It’s the most beautiful time of the year! The inevitable chills and illuminating shimmering Christmas lights are irresistibly bringing good feeling within us! “‘Tis the season to be jolly…”— as the rhythm goes around your neighborhood or even along the streets as you pass whenever the yuletide season is just around the corner. A huge crowd can be seen in marketplaces and shopping malls. In many parts of the world, shopkeepers decorate their shops along the Christmas theme.
It is the time to enjoy and savor that fun moment, especially with family. On this occasion, everybody wishes ‘Merry Christmas’ to each other. Special Christmas Carols are sung in churches and abbeys. It is also an occasion for a family get-together. People put on new clothes, present gifts to each other, and decorate their houses.
Since Christmas is just around the corner, the time for giving and sharing should not be missed out. It has had been a pure tradition all over the world from generation to generation. We always wanted something to wrap too for Mom and Dad. We long for that something simple yet memorable— that gift that could last till infinite memories.
You might be having a hard time thinking about what would be the best gift ever. Well, it’s time to change the style of gift ideas! Mom and Dad are sure way happier to receive something they can utilize in the house, something practical.
One of the unique gifts you can give them this holiday season is the Berkey Filters. It does not just purify your tap water but indeed ensures you away from possible water contaminants. Your parents don’t want that to happen. They always wanted what’s best for the family, and they wanted Berkey Filters.
Here are the reasons why Berkey Filters are a good choice for Mom and Dad this Christmas:
Understanding Water Filtration
Filtration is a process wherein the solid particles in the liquid are removed. The filter medium allows the passage of the liquid while retaining the solid particles, or vice versa. Apart from the solid particles, gases, electricity, light, and sound can be filtered as well. This is true in the production of chemicals in big industries.
The process of filtration was known to human beings since time immemorial. They produce clear water from the muddy river by scooping a hole in the sand. They do this in-depth below the level of the muddy river. Then, the clear water filtered through the sand would filter in the hole. Communities in modern society still use this traditional process to purify their water.
In all types of filtration, the basic requirements are the following:
- A filter medium
- A fluid with suspended solids on it
- Pressure difference to enable the flowing of the liquid
- Filter or any mechanical device that holds the filter applies the force and contains the fluid
One type of water filtration device is the gravity filter. It is the simplest and the oldest type. The most common is the gravity sand-bed which is found in the city water plants. This type of filter uses tanks made of concrete.
At the tank’s bottom, you can find the false bottom or the grating. Above is the crushed rock or the gravel. It is of graded size. At the top, you can find layers of quartz sand which is of uniform size.
To filter sulfuric acid, the crushed coke of graded size is being used. This is true in industrial filtrations. This is used in charcoal beds, alkaline liquors, and others. It is used to purify organic liquids to be filtered and absorbed.
History of The Black Berkey Water Filter
In the early 1800s, London has a significant problem with safe water. This is due to the pathogenic bacteria that have contaminated the Thames River. According to studies, raw sewage was the leading cause of water contamination. As such, this problem has endangered the health of England’s citizens. Some of the epidemic diseases like typhoid, cholera, and diarrhea have started to spread across England. With this, it has alarmed Queen Elizabeth, who is the most powerful woman in the world at that time.
Then, Henry Doulton invented and developed ceramic filters. Now, it is known as the Super Sterasyl or as the white filters. These filters can remove deadly microorganisms like bacteria. It has the capability of self-sterilization.
Queen Elizabeth mandated Doulton to make a gravity stone-fed water filter. He created a technology of ceramic filters using his talents in pottery. Then, he made a water container.
With the help of Chadwick and other experts in 1846, Doulton started a revolution and opened the eyes of the people. They began a movement for better water technology sanitation. Through the Ceramic Filter of Doulton, it has paved the way for the development of water filters. Now, it is known as the Super Sterasyl filters.
In 1846, the experiments and research collected by Louis Pasteur through advanced microbiology were aligned with Doulton’s studies. It allowed the continuous development of the survey by Doulton. They have further studies the effects of the harmful substances in the water.
Doulton, together with Pasteur, created water cartridges that can kill bacteria. Their studies are known to be 90% effective in their goals. Through their explorations and examinations, they have improved water filtration. They have done this through ceramic water filters. Then, it was adopted in the military, hospitals, and laboratories. It has been part of Queen Victoria’s exhibit at the international level since 1862.
To make 99% of the water filtered by the device, the NMC developed the Black filters. They now produce water that is clean and close to perfection.
Black filters are also known as water purifiers. It removes every contaminant in the water. As such, no heavy metals or organic compounds can remain in the water.
It Simply Removes the Bad, Leaves the Good
Berkey water filter systems are far superior to other filtration systems because they remove harmful pathogenic bacteria, cysts, parasites, and unhealthy chemical contaminants such as Chlorine to levels higher than 99.99%, while at the same time leaving in the essential minerals your body needs.
Did you know that over 60% of US municipal water is fluoridated?
Berkey water filter systems also distinguish themselves from many other filtration systems by having the capabilities to significantly reduce fluoride and arsenic via the “PF” line of filters.
It’s Affordable, and You’ll Have a Great Return of Investment.
Each durable Berkey water filter will last up to 3,000 gallons (6,000 gallons per set of 2). This is much longer than the majority of water filter solutions on the market. At 10 gallons per week, this equates to more than 11.5 years of healthy, clean drinking water!
Put another way, 1 gallon of Berkey water costs you just 1.7 cents! Including fluoride and arsenic reduction, 1 gallon of Berkey water costs just 7 cents.
Stop and think how much money you could save by the simple reduction in bottled water purchases by regularly using water filtered by your Berkey water filter.
It Purifies Any Kind of Water, Thus, a Versatile One
Berkey water filter systems can purify both treated water (municipal/ city water) and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds, and water supplies in foreign countries.
The micro-pores within the self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Berkey water filter purification elements are so small that pathogenic bacteria cannot pass through them.
Because the Berkey water filter does not require electricity and is portable, they become a lifesaver during flooding, loss of electricity, and other life-threatening emergencies.
It’s Convenient and Portable
Berkey systems are easy to assemble and operate without tools, electricity, water pressure, or plumbing. When traveling, or if space is limited, the top and bottom chambers of most of our systems nest within each other for easy transport.
It’s user-friendly, something that is of great use yet advantageous to utilize.
It’s Dependably Simple
Berkey's technology to purify water can handle the very smallest of water contaminants, even viruses, making it one of the most powerful water filtering systems available. This ability is all possible using the most simple, foolproof methods, starting with micro-filtration.
It Can Control Your Water Quality
When you purchase water from water fill stations or buy bottled water, do you know the quality of that water? With water fill stations, much maintenance is required for the machine to function correctly. Is the person in charge of that maintenance changing filters when necessary, or do they let them go beyond their ability to boost profits? Is the machine sanitized regularly? Is the bottled water you purchase going through a filtering process, or is it just regular tap water from a municipal supply?
The point is that if you are not producing your water, you are not in control of the quality of that water. If you own a Berkey Water Filter system, you will be in charge of these factors and know that the water is being purified to the highest quality standards.
There have been couples of independent lab results that speak for themselves. The Berkey system’s high quality and effectiveness have stood the test of time.
First ordered by the Royal House in England, it’s also been used by relief organizations such as UNICEF, the Peace Corps, and Red Cross Societies Internationally. What’s more, Berkey home water filter systems have been used for over 150 years by missionaries, explorers, and relief workers in over 140 countries worldwide.
All the pointers mentioned above are the core factors why Mom and Dad would just wish to have their own Berkey water system. To sum up everything, it’s something all they can ask for! They depend on water quality through this water filter without sacrificing someone’s health in the family.
What Does Berkey Filter Do?
The Berkey emerges among different filters to effectively expels the following contaminants from your ordinary drinking water. (*Complete list of contaminants Berkey can remove)
Implied to avoid tooth decay, Fluoride is being consumed by roughly 64% of the United States population consistently using faucet water, regardless of being profoundly poisonous.
Chlorine is an exceedingly poisonous substance that has been utilized to sanitize swimming pools and is put into drinking water to wash out microorganisms. Be that as it may, no pursuits are made to expel the chlorine from the water, which means many individuals expend it every day.
Bacteria are most generally found in outdoor water (rain, streams, lakes, and so forth). They can cause disorder for a considerable length of time or even weeks if not appropriately filtered through.
Currently, news stations have been detailing that pharmaceuticals (counting hormones, anti-toxins, and mood stabilizers) have been found in the water supplies of a disturbing number of urban communities in the US.
Metal and Debris
Plumbing can be hard to keep up, particularly in more established urban communities or towns where budgets are spent elsewhere. Along these lines, old funnels (both outside and inside your home) can end up eroded, and tiny bits of metal can discover their way into your water glass.
To Whom is the Berkey Good for?
The Berkey is ideal for those individuals who get a kick out of the chance to be prepared for the worst emergency. This would undoubtedly include Mom and Dad that have nothing to do but think of their household's welfare and security in times of difficulties.
If utilities are closed off or assets wind up noticeably polluted in an infrastructure accident, this filter will be the best approach to get safe water.
It is likewise ideal for the more health-conscious among us, who don't care for drinking the more significant part of the filtered things indicated above.
Here are the itemized Berkey water filter products that will give you a clearer view of their usefulness.
Big Berkey Water Systems are units that, once purchased, one would keep for a lifetime. I highly recommend them! If you want a solid water system, is on the level of a purifier, and has low maintenance, then Big Berkey Water Filter Systems may be for you.
These units are top-rated, so don’t waste time if you are thinking of getting one as they sell out quickly. Look into trying this water filter system for yourself and recommend it to all your friends and family.
The heart of the Big Berkey Water Filter System is its black Berkey filters. These black filters are nearly a foot long and are made from a proprietary combination of approximately six different media types. They exceed EPA log 7 ANSI / NSF protocols for filtration and thus are rated as water purifiers. Water purifiers take water filtering to a whole new level. Units of this level often cost well over a thousand dollars. I realized this water purifier was respectably priced well within reach of many people.
The 1.5-gallon water tank is perfect for one or two people or a camping trip.
The Travel Berkey is 18″ high, even though it can be collapsed to 12″ for stockpiling. It is 7.5″ in diameter.
It can hold two filters at the most extreme, which will filter up to 2.5 gallons of water for each hour.
- The compact Travel Berkey system is ideal for small homes and apartments, travel (fits in many bags), outside exercises, or unforeseen crises.
- Built of exceedingly polished AISI 304 stainless steel
- The upper chamber settles inside the lower chamber for transport
- Most extreme filters: 2 Black Berkey Elements (in upper chamber)
- The system incorporates upper and lowers stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, two wingnuts, two washers, one preparing catch, stainless steel cover, nozzle, and an elastic gasket to secure the base
- Height when being used: 18"
- Weight: 6.13 lbs. when empty
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with two Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Travel Berkey system can deliver up to 2.75 gallons (10.4 liters) of purified water every hour
- Up to two PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters might be set up in the lower chamber of this system if wanted.
With a 3.25-gallon water tank, the Royal Berkey is a solid match for more prominent families or private companies.
This system is 23″ tall and is 9.5″ in diameter.
It can hold a maximum of four filters, and filtration time relies upon what number of filters you utilize.
- Filters typically with approximately 5-8 gallons for each hour utilizing one set (2) Black Berkey Purification Elements can filter up to 4 gallons (15.1 liters) for each hour when the upper chamber is kept topped full.
- Filters typically with approximately 2-6 gallons for each hour utilizing 4x (two sets) Black Berkey Purification Elements yet can purify up to 8 gallons for every hour when the upper chamber is kept topped full.
- Weight: 8 lbs. when empty.
- Totally for off-grid operation, no power or pipes required
- The full freestanding system, lightweight and simple to move and transport. Utilize it on the kitchen seat, office, classroom, lounge, and so forth.
- One set of Black Berkey Purification Elements will keep going for approximately 5,970 gallons.
- Up to 4 PF-2 Berkey PF-2, Fluoride, and Arsenic Elements can be set up in the lower chamber if wanted.
Featuring a bulky 4.5 gallon (17 liters) water tank, the Imperial Berkey is twice the size of the Travel Berkey. That makes it a solid match for larger families who drink a ton of water or little workplaces.
The Imperial Berkey is 25.75″ tall and is 10″ in diameter.
It can hold a maximum of 6 filters, and filtration time every hour relies upon what number of filters you opt to set up.
- The Imperial Berkey System comes standard with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements. However, it can be extended up to 4 or 6 elements.
- The adaptable Imperial Berkey System is the perfect system for mid-to-large-sized families, little gatherings, and amid crises.
- Constructed with exceptionally polished AISI stainless steel.
- The upper chamber settles inside the lower chamber for transport and stands just 17" in height.
- Maximum Filters: 6 Black Berkey Purification Elements (in upper chamber).
- The system incorporates upper and lower stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements (expandable to 4 or 6), one stainless steel top, two washers, two wingnuts, four blocking plugs, and one priming button nozzle, one elastic gasket to secure the base.
- Height when being used: 26".
- Weight: 10 lbs. when empty.
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Imperial Berkey system can deliver up to 5.5 gallons (20.8 liters) of purified water every hour. Configured with 6 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Imperial Berkey system can create up to 16.5 gallons (62.5 liters) of purified water every hour.
If wanted, up to 6 Berkey PF-2, Fluoride, and Arsenic Reduction Elements can be set up in the lower chamber.
With a huge 6-gallon water tank, the Crown Berkey is the king of the Berkey group of water filters.
Crown Berkey is 30″ tall and is 11″ in diameter.
It weighs 12.6 pounds and can filter 6.5 gallons every hour.
- The Crown Berkey system comes standard with two Black Berkey Purification Elements yet can be extended to 4, 6, or 8 elements.
- The Crown Berkey System is the biggest and is perfect for huge gatherings at home, churches, hospitals, open-air exercises, and amid surprising crises.
- Constructed of highly polished AISI 304 stainless steel.
- The upper chamber settles inside the lower chamber for transport and stands just 20" in height.
- Maximum Filters: 8 Black Berkey Purification Elements (in upper chamber).
- The system incorporates an upper and lowers stainless steel chamber, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements (expandable to 4, 6, or 8), one stainless steel cover, one nozzle, two wingnuts, two washers, one priming button, six blocking plugs, one elastic gasket to secure the base.
- Height when being used: 30".
- Weight: 12 lbs. when empty.
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Crown Berkey system can clean up to 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) of purified water every hour. Configured with 8 Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Crown Berkey system can purify up to 26 gallons (98.4 liters) of purified water every hour.
- Up to 8 PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements can be set up in the lower chamber if wanted.
The Berkey Light provides pure water even when starting with raw, untreated water from lakes, streams, rivers, or ponds. Removes pathogenic bacteria and cysts (including E. Coli, Giardia, Cryptosporidium) and chemicals (including herbicides and pesticides) below detectable levels while reducing by more than 85% heavy metals like lead, mercury, aluminum, chromium, and copper. It also controls foul taste and odor.
2 Black Berkey Elements:
- Removes chemicals (including herbicides and pesticides) and chlorine to below detectable levels
- Reduces pathogenic bacteria, viruses (MS2 – Fr Coliphage), and parasites by more than 99.9%
- Also, it removes sediments, iron, foul tastes, and odors
- Reduces up to 95% heavy metals like lead, mercury, aluminum, chromium, and copper
- Can produce 4 gallons of clean water each hour
- Each element lasts up to 3,000 gallons (set of 2 lasts about two years)
- Tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed EPA and ANSI/NSF (Std. 53) protocol
- The base raises a plastic spigot off the counter so you can fill a glass with water without pulling the Berkey Light to the counter edge.
- Transparent design allows you to see when the refill is needed and how much filtered water is available.
- It is made of highly durable, BPA-free copolyester - resistant to shattering, scratching, staining, and odors—dishwasher safe.
- Fitted fabric lid
- 2-1/2 gallon capacity
- 27"H x 9"OD, 5 lb
The Berkey KDF shower filter is a simple gadget that does filters out the following contaminants:
- Removes up to 95% of the chlorine contained in tap water
- Removes 98% or those heavy metals that are water-soluble, for example, lead
- Reduces limescale
- Reduces mold
- Reduces fungi
- Reduces showerhead clogging
- Reduces chemical absorption via the skin
- Removes most microorganisms
- Reduces hydrogen sulfide
As you can see, the Berkey is far more than just a chlorine shower filter. Despite this, it is priced at about the same level as other filters, which remove far fewer contaminants.
They only cost certainly within your budget, so if you just want to give one a try, click through and buy straight away.
Simply put, Berkey knows how to get you clean water. The Berkey Sports Bottle is more than a water filter, and it’s classified as a water purifier, meaning it meets higher standards than your average filter.
Using ionic adsorption microfiltration technology not only eliminates over 99.99% of all harmful chemicals and pesticides as well as hazardous bacteria such as E-coli, sediments, chlorine, unwanted tastes, and odors, but also removes dangerous heavy metals like Mercury, Lead, Copper, Aluminum, Cadmium, and Chromium. That’s a long list. The Berkey Sports Bottle uses medical-grade technology to give you a clean and access to hydration whenever and wherever you need it.
This 22-ounce bottle has a shelf life of over 50 years, making it an ideal selection for inclusion in emergency preparation kits. The filter lifetime offers you up to 160 ‘wilderness’ refills from contaminated lakes, streams, creeks, or puddles. Or 640 tap water refills – which is how I prefer to use the Berkey Sports Bottle as an everyday companion offering clean water no matter where I fill it.
It takes away the chlorinated ‘tap water’ taste and leaves every drink extra refreshing and contaminant-free. And it’s pretty cheap, considering the filtration power behind it!
Berkey Model Comparison Chart
For this comparison, the flow rate is multiplied by the total holding ability to turn up a rough estimation of the number of individuals every system could support (with the most extreme number of filters) under ordinary conditions. Remember that every system creates similar quality water, yet the bigger system delivers increasingly, and littler Berkeys are more convenient. This would be a good quick guide for Mom and Dad as to which Berkey they would prefer.
Just a tip:
Whichever Berkey system you pick ought to rely upon your water utilization, the vast majority will observe a Big Berkey be satisfactory for their household.
While getting a larger-sized Berkey isn't significantly more costly, it is even more of an inconvenience. The bigger-sized Berkey systems consume more space, and they are higher, which implies it's harder to reach the topmost portions, and they are heavier, which means they are harder to bear.
Flow Rate (GPH)
Persons per Day
1 - 2
Big w/2 Filters
2 - 4
Big w/4 Filters
2 - 6
Royal w/2 Filters
4 - 6
Royal w/4 Filters
4 - 8
Imperial w/ 2 Filters
6 - 9
Imperial w/ 4 Filters
6 - 12
Imperial w/6 Filters
7 - 14
Crown w/2 Filters
8 - 10
Crown w/4 Filters
8 - 12
Crown w/6 Filters
8 - 14
Crown w/8 Filters
8 - 16
2 - 4
The Berkey is, by all accounts, an extremely efficient and detailed water filtration system. Its filters are remarkably competent and genuinely do appear to satisfy Berkey's claim that they are the best available on the market.
The price point is excellent because a Berkey filter doesn't utilize power, and you generally have the alternative to filtering water from any source. It is also good to discover that cleaning the filter is a straightforward procedure and should be done irregularly.
Mom and Dad might have thought and figured of several ideas on water purification to secure drinking water in the house, but having a decent spot for a Berkey to sit, appears like a strong option for a water filtration system in the household.
Now, have you thought of a specific Berkey water filter product you wish to buy as a precious gift for Mom and Dad? For sure, it will be greatly rewarding to your parents! Let your family experience that extra-satisfying, full-purified taste of your quality water. May you have an awe-inspiring holiday!